User selectable RSS Feeds

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Hi Obilogic,

Just wondering if the Obilogic RSS Reader is able to allow the end users to select a particular feed to view?

In my case I have identified about 30-40 different RSS feeds that will be of interest to the various types of users that visit my SharePoint site. Rather than aggregate these all into one display, I am looking for a solution where the end user can select the specific feed that is of interest to them.

Regards, Paul_T  

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately not.
Perhaps I'll keep this in mind for the next verion (if/when I get a chance to work on it)

Regards
Anthony

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for letting me know.  PaulT

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Hi Paul,

Was just giving this some thought ... and wondering how you'd see this actually working?

you mentioned

"a solution where the end user can select the specific feed that is of interest to them" -

did you mean something along the lines of having each configured RSS Feed available in drop down list, and use this to determine which actual RSS content is retrieved/displayed?

(or were you thinking of something completely different?)

Regards
Anthony

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Hi Anthony,

Yes, that is exactly along the lines of how I was thinking.  I had imagined a solution where I (the site owner) could define which feed will would be the default. Then the end uers would either have:

-  a drop down list (fantastic option), or,

- a tree view navigation pane so that the different types of feeds could be grouped e.g. by type of topic or alternatively by region (mind blowing option).

Then if they select another feed the web part would redispay showing that feed.

In my case I have quite a broad user group. So the feeds vary from global news, general news from specific regions (e.g. UK, Asia, Europe, Australia/NZ, etc), risk management / compliance / regulatory / financial market feeds from specific regions, News / reports from the big consultancy firms (again by region), etc. Aggregating these into a single feed dilutes the value for everybody as they are only interested in specific areas.

FYI. I am a non-technical site owner so I don't know if what I am asking for is possible, easy or difficult.  My skill level extends to following clearly documented steps, copying and pasting bits of code when told exactly where to do this and changing the variables in the code - again when told where to do this and if there is any specific syntax to be used.  So apologies if I am looking for the impossible.