What is the authentication for?

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Hi,

In the Web Part setting pane, there is an "Authentication" settings, what is it for? Which permission does it require?

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I made a test for the "Authentication" settings.

Filled the authentication info for cross-site RSS feeds (I guess this is why we need the authentication). The Web Part was removed by somebody accidentally, then I re-added the Obilogic RSS Reader Web Part back to the site, why this time I did not need to fill in the authentication info for the same feeds (some of them are cross-site feeds) to get it displayed on the page? The Cache was set to 20 mins, then I tried to get rid of the Cache from my IE browser, but it still shows the cross-site feed contents without authentication filled.

Would you please explain this?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Hi mltrben,

The "Authentication" options allows the Web Part to consume any RSS Feed which requires/supports "Basic Authentication"

The "Cache Duration" option sets the interval for the "Web Part Caching" NOT the cache of the browser.
(See Google Search: Web Part Caching for more info)

If you want to "clear" the Cache (ie. make the Web Part attempt to retieve RSS feed(s) every time the page is viewed/requested) set the Cache Duration to "0".

Regards
AObi

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Dear AObi,

1. Can you please explain what do you mean by "Basic Authentication"? Appreciated if you can give me some examples.

2. Can you please explain why it still shows the cross-site feeds with blanks in authentication fields (authentication was set once, then left it with blanks, but it still shows the feeds)?

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Hi mltrben,

1. See Basic Access Authentication for more info...

2. Not sure I can answer this without knowing config of your environment (which you probably may not wish to post details of here).  Have you got 'anonymous access' enabled for example? (See Enable anonymous access for more info)

Regards
AObi

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:31 AM

Dear AObi,

We do not enable 'anonymous access' at all. What possiblities you can come up with for question 2?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:13 AM

Dear AObi,

1. Does that mean by hoping to get the RSS Feed from cross-sites, we need to have an account that can access to all the feeds that I have specified in the settings?
  2. If we are using Basic Authentication setting, meaning we do not have to specify the credentials, and it will go along with whoever who has logged in to that Sharepoint site.  If that person does not have access to one of the sites that we have specified to get the RSS Feed from, will that person see the updates, or will that part of the feed be left hidden?

Thanks.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Edited Aug 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Hi mltrben,

1. Yes  (...as you don't have 'anonymous access' enabled)

2. All users see posts/updates and no content is hidden based on user permission levels.

Unfortunately the web part does not ha ve acces to the "end user" username + password to authenticate against the RSS Feed.  If basic authentication is required, then the username + password specified in the config options is used for all requests against the RSS Feed, regardless of the end user (logged in or not) viewing the page.

If you need to hide/display the web part for certain users, I would suggest using " audiences" - see Target content to specific audiences for further information.

(Please Note: the Target list or library items to an audience section will not work with this web part, as the end user's credentials are NOT passed to the RSS feed.)

Regards
AObi

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM

We are using your reader on our WSS sharepoint implementation. When doing a cross site RSS we intermittently get a 401 authentication error. 50% of the time it is successful and returns the rss feed.  I am not supplying credentials. We are relying on the users and we do not have anonymous turned on. Have you seen this?

We have a load balanced environment.

It seems to be consistently reproducible when we by pass the load balancer and in the URL use a specific server name and in the RSS feed URL in the webpart config use a different server it always fails.

If use the same server name in both places it seems to be always successful.

Thanks

Frank Cardillo

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hi Frank,

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by "I am not supplying credentials. We are relying on the users" please?
I assume by "I am not supplying credentials" you mean you are not specifying an Basic Authentication credentials... but I don't really understand what you mean by "We are relying on the users"?

Could you also confirm what you are using for you Load Balancing?
For example are you using Windows NLB or seperate LoadBalancer hardware (eg. F5, Kemp etc)

A couple of other things that might also be worth checking:

1. Check you have your "alternate access mappings" configured correctly (especially if you're using multiple URLs in a Load Balanced/Farm environment)
  2. Check identity being used by the "app pool(s)" - are you using a "domain account" and is it the same on each front-end webserver

Regards
Anthony

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

We are not supplying the basic credentials.  I was thinking the users credentials via NTLM would security trim and provide access to the rss feed.

We are using f-5 with cookies.

We have access mappings correct. I have verified them with Microsoft. I have opened a case with them to try to resolve the issue.  I am really not getting anywhere fast with them. They say it is the webpart. But there is no out of the box reader in WSS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Frank Cardillo
Georgia-Pacific

Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:41 AM
To: Cardillo, Frank F.
Subject: Re: What is the authentication for? [obilogicrssreader:62443]

Hi Frank,

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by "I am not supplying credentials. We are relying on the users" please?
I assume by "I am not supplying credentials" you mean you are not specifying an Basic Authentication credentials... but I don't really understand what you mean by "We are relying on the users"?

Could you also confirm what you are using for you Load Balancing?
For example are you using Windows NLB or seperate LoadBalancer hardware (eg. F5, Kemp etc)

Might also be worth checking that you have you "alternate access mappings" configured correctly (especially if you're using multiple URLs in a Load Balanced/Farm environment)

Regards
Anthony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (obilogicrssreader@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email obilogicrssreader@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately if basic authentication credentials aren't supplied, the Web Part does NOT use or pass the "end user credentials" to retrieve the RSS Feed .
(I believe this is point is touched on in one of the previous replies in this thread - see reply to 'mltrben' on Aug 15th)

Also if you're using seperate Load Balancing hardware, there may be an issue with the authentication process at this point (ie. between Client Brower >> F5/L.Balancer >> SharePoint Site)

You could possible test this further by creating a test page and using SharePoint Designer to try consuming the RSS Feed (affectively removing the web part from the equation)

See http://rajkamal29.blogspot.com/2009/08/steps-to-show-rss-feed-data-using.html for further details on how to do this.

Hope this helps (and good luck)

Regards
Anthony